At Centene, we don’t just embrace the future; we take the lead.
Our core beliefs have positioned us to take bold steps forward—through new technologies and innovations—while always remaining true to our purpose of transforming the health of the community, one person at a time.
In 2018, Centene achieved strong results across our business segments, reflecting the strength of our diversification strategy and our portfolio approach.
- Michael F. Neidorff, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
2018 At A Glance
IN TOTAL REVENUES
OPERATING CASH FLOW
DILUTED EARNINGS PER SHARE
ADJUSTED DILUTED EARNINGS PER SHARE
2018 Quarterly Highlights
- Centene’s New Mexico subsidiary, Western Sky Community Care, is awarded the statewide contract for the Centennial Care 2.0 Program. The program provides integrated Medicaid managed care coverage to nearly 700,000 Medicaid members.
- Centene signs a definitive agreement to acquire MHM Services, Inc., a national provider of healthcare and staffing services to correctional systems and other government agencies.
- Centene announces it has agreed to acquire Community Medical Holdings Corp., a leading at-risk primary care provider, serving over 70,000 Medicaid, Medicare Advantage, and Health Insurance Marketplace program patients in Miami-Dade County, Florida.
- Centene makes an initial investment in RxAdvance, a full-service pharmacy benefit manager. The partnership includes both a customer relationship and strategic investment in RxAdvance.
- Centurion Detention Health Services, a Centene subsidiary, is selected by the Pima County Arizona Board of Supervisors to provide comprehensive healthcare services to detainees of the county’s adult and juvenile detention facilities in Tucson, Arizona.
- Centene’s Iowa subsidiary, Iowa Total Care, is tentatively awarded a statewide contract for the IA Health Link Program, which provides integrated Medicaid managed care coverage to over 600,000 Medicaid members in the state. Pending regulatory approval, the contract is expected to commence on July 1, 2019.
- Coordinated Care, Centene’s subsidiary in Washington state, is chosen to provide managed care services to Apple Health’s Integrated Managed Care Medicaid beneficiaries in the King, Pierce, North Sound, Greater Columbia, and North Central Regional Service Areas.
- Centene announces a partnership with the National Council on Independent Living on an initiative to increase the accessibility of provider medical offices and services for people with disabilities. Centene’s Provider Accessibility Initiative launches the company’s Barrier Removal Fund in three pilot states, Illinois, Texas and Ohio, as well as educational and compliance components that will be implemented in all Centene markets nationwide.
- Centene’s Kansas subsidiary, Sunflower Health Plan, is chosen to provide managed care services to KanCare beneficiaries statewide. KanCare provides medical and behavioral health benefits, as well as long-term services and supports, to approximately 400,000 members.
- Centene completes its acquisition of Fidelis Care, expanding Centene’s national leadership in government-sponsored healthcare and giving Centene a presence in New York, the country’s second largest managed care state by membership.
- Health Net Federal Services, a Centene subsidiary, is awarded the next generation Military & Family Life Counseling Program contract through its MHN Government Services (MHNGS) company. Under the contract, MHNGS will deploy highly skilled and licensed behavioral health counselors on assignments throughout the United States, U.S. territories, and countries where the U.S. military is deployed.
- Centene and Ascension, the nation’s largest Catholic and nonprofit health system, announce they will explore a joint venture to establish a leading Medicare Advantage plan. The plan is expected to be implemented in multiple geographic markets beginning in 2020.
- Centurion Detention Health Services is selected to provide comprehensive healthcare services to detainees of Volusia County’s detention facilities located near Daytona, Florida.
- Centurion Detention Health Services is selected to provide comprehensive healthcare services to detainees at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Centene’s Arizona subsidiary, Health Net Access, begins providing physical and behavioral healthcare services through the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System Complete Care program in the central and southern regions.
- Centene’s Mississippi subsidiary, Magnolia Health, completes implementation of a transformative pharmacy benefit management model using RxAdvance’s Collaborative PBM Cloud™ platform, covering 240,000 Mississippi Medicaid members.
- Centene’s Florida subsidiary, Sunshine Health, begins providing physical and behavioral healthcare services through Florida’s Statewide Medicaid Managed Care Program under its new five-year contract, which was implemented for all 11 regions by February 2019.
- Centene Corporation, which owns 50% of the Ribera Salud Group in Spain, announces it has purchased Sanitas’ and Asisa’s stake of the Torrejón Salud company, concessionaire of the University Hospital of Torrejón de Ardoz in Madrid. With this transaction, Centene owns 89% of the University Hospital, and Ribera Salud will assume management of the center.
Products & Services
Providing the Best Possible Care with Cutting-Edge Technology
Centene has long leveraged innovative ideas to shape how healthcare is provided. That innovative spirit extends to technology, where Centene is using the latest tools to develop new methods of improving healthcare outcomes.
Leveraging technology to improve health outcomes: By analyzing 12 million medical data points in less than a minute, Interpreta can identify physiological or laboratory changes that could signal trouble.
To better help the underserved, Centene utilizes cutting-edge technology to analyze crucial healthcare data and turn it into meaningful results for our members.
Developing complex algorithms through machine learning to better predict human behavior means that we can proactively deliver specialized programs and targeted interventions to populations most in need. Our powerful analytics engine, Interpreta, uses a robust database that can reveal which segments of the population are more susceptible to important health concerns. TruCare is our case management system for critically ill members who need more comprehensive management. And through our relationship with the pharmacy benefit manager RxAdvance, providers will be able to identify potential lower-cost drug options within therapeutic categories. Our investment in the latest technology allows us to move beyond simply responding to illness and enhances our ability to help our members take charge of their health.
Our continued investments in new technology have significantly enhanced our ability to scale, coordinate, and deliver care. While we embrace technological progress, we never lose sight of our purpose: transforming the health of the community, one person at a time.
Better Health Outcomes for Families
By providing valuable health resources and information, Centene empowers our members to make healthy decisions that benefit themselves and their families. Start Smart for Your Baby®, an award-winning education and outreach program, helps pregnant members achieve healthy pregnancies while preventing premature births, low birthweight deliveries, and infant disease.
Learn more about our program
2018 Accreditations & Awards
- Ranked No. 61 on FORTUNE® 500 List (2018):
Centene ranked No. 61 on the 2018 FORTUNE 500® list of largest U.S. corporations by revenue, up from No. 66 in 2017. Since first entering the list in 2010, Centene has climbed 425 spots.
- Ranked No. 210 on FORTUNE® Global 500 List (2018):
Centene ranked No. 210 on the 2018 FORTUNE Global 500® list of the world’s largest corporations by revenue. Centene first appeared on the list in 2016 at No. 470.
- Gender-Equality Index:
Centene is listed on Bloomberg’s 2019 Gender-Equality Index for our strong dedication to gender equality and the advancement of women in the workplace.
- FORTUNE World’s Most Admired Companies:
In 2018, Centene was selected as one of FORTUNE World’s Most Admired Companies, a recognition chosen by healthcare industry executives, directors, and analysts asked to rate enterprises in their own industry on nine criteria, from investment value and quality of management and products to social responsibility and ability to attract talent.
- Disability Equality:
Centene was again recognized as a top employer by the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD).
- Patriot Award:
Centene received the Patriot Award from the Office of the Secretary of Defense in recognition of our company’s support of the National Guard, Reserve Forces, and their families.
Centene continues to gain national recognition for growth and innovation, as well as for our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
See our current Accreditations & Awards